Huyze Herkert, morning room: chairs

There’s one very essential thing missing next to my desk in the morning room: a chair! And since Lady Herkert also receives her friends here, a second chair is certainly not an unnecessary luxury.

I wanted a chair with an upholstered seat and back. I found a green fabric that matches the dark green wallpaper perfectly. For the front legs, I used ready-made legs from Streets Ahead Dollshouse. I designed the rest of the chair myself in SketchUp. And then I completely forgot to take photos of the painting and assembly…

What I do have photos of is the upholstery. My embroidery skills are fairly limited: I’m familiar with cross stitch and tent stitch, but that’s about where my expertise ends. So some time ago, I bought this book (this isn’t specifically about miniature embroidery!):

It contains some wonderful examples with step-by-step instructions, but they are far too ambitious for someone at my level in 1:12 scale (this is something I’m definitely going to have to practise on a larger scale first). So I lowered the bar quite a bit. Using a washable fabric marker, I drew a simple design. I used stem stitch for the border and chain stitch for the middle part.

I cut the shape of the seat and back out of cardboard and wadding and glued the two layers together.

And this is what the finished chairs look like:



Reacties


  1. The embroidery on the chairs looks lovely ~ you certainly have way more patience than I do!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Huyze Herkert, morning room: building an extension for the dollhouse in the dollhouse

An introduction to Huyze Herkert

Huyze Herkert, morning room: finishing the dollhouse in the dollhouse?