1zu12 – Die Messe ’26 (May 23-May 24)
Last year,
1zu12 was the very first dollhouse fair I ever visited. It is a biennial fair
in Germany, about a three-and-a-half-hour drive from where I live (so I
turned it into a little weekend getaway as well). As a newcomer to the
world of miniatures, I hardly knew where to look first. The fair is large and,
fortunately, spans two days. It felt as if I had stepped into paradise! There
was never any doubt that I would return this year.
I even
added an extra day to my trip: on Friday, I signed up for the “Little Cook”
workshop led by Silvia Leiner. We started with a doll body frame, which we
first wrapped in cotton wool to give the body some structure. We then sewed all
the clothes, starting with the underwear and continuing through the underdress, the dress, hat,
and apron. Along the way, we also gave our little cook some hair. Honestly, it
was quite a challenge to keep up! I am not a quick seamstress, and because the
instructions were always given in German first and only afterwards in English, it
meant the others had a few minutes’ head start each time. The workshop was
scheduled to run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., but we did not finish until around 6
p.m. With only a half-hour break, it was a very intense day! But fun, so much
fun!
| I had already made the shoes here |
I am happy with the result, although I would have chosen a different fabric for the dress myself.
During the
weekend itself, I completely immersed myself in all the beautiful things the
fair had to offer. Here is an overview of my purchases:
A picture frame and a ceramic bird—both from Netjes Miniaturen—for the morning room of Huyze Herkert.
Copper household items from the stand of Christel Schneider. With the exception of the serving bowl, they are all quite heavy, which indicates good quality.
Two bottles with lids and a vase by glassblower Gerd Felka. The large vase also came from Christel Schneider.
A wooden side table by Marlies Eberhardt. Several turned-wood pieces by Hermann Straeten: a lidded pot made from the fruit of a rattan palm, with a base and central section of ebony; a vase made of ebony and curly birch; and a bowl made from white ebony. The pedestal bowl was purchased from woodturner Gerrit van Werven. I forgot to ask which type of wood it is made from. The glass vase with black motifs was bought from Elsner von Gronow.
Two Oriental baskets from My Thai Miniatures.
A 1:144 scale kit for making candlesticks and chandeliers, as well as a tiny cello, by Volker Arnold.
A wooden cabinet, also by Volker Arnold. The other 1:144 scale pieces of furniture are by Francesca Vernuccio. All of these are, of course, intended for my baby dollhouse in the morning room of Huyze Herkert.
This beautiful, extremely thin porcelain was purchased from Daniele Falvo.
I also bought a number of fabrics and a stock of supplies to equip Huyze Herkert with lighting. I have the feeling that the more fairs I attend, the worse I become at keeping my spending under control… (Is this something I need to work on? It literally feels like I’m buying little pieces of happiness. And are we really supposed to cut back on happiness itself?)




Hi Sofie! Miniatures Fairs are seduction and temptation and wanton loss of control in my humble experience! But never regret! :):) I have been saved from myself in the past few years as all the local Fairs have stopped or moved too far away for me to attend. I am saddened... but know I do not "Need" even one more ounce of temptation! (ie mini treasures). I have so many projects under way..... and so many kits and ideas to assemble... it is time for me to work diligently on the projects at hand rather than indulge more wild extravagance. But it is always fun to see beautiful mini treasures that others have discovered... and sometimes to be reminded of the dreams languishing with my unfinished projects.... where did I leave that _______ (you fill in the blank) and how was I planning to use it.....??? Ah the dreams.... they keep me going! And seeing the inspiring projects of miniaturists like yourself who are just getting going! :):):) Your cook dollmaking workshop sounds like it was challenging to keep up... but the results are lovely (and you can always remake the dress). It is great to have hands on instruction in areas we are not familiar with. And it can be fun to get to know other miniaturists too!
BeantwoordenVerwijderen