Huyze Herkert, morning room: drawings for the wall

As I mentioned in my previous post, letting go of the parrot wallpaper wasn't easy. I really loved those parrots! So I started wondering whether there might be a way to bring them back into the room after all. Perhaps still as part of the wall décor?

I found illustrations from A Monograph of the Lories, published in London in 1896. In the original artwork, the parrots are predominantly reddish, but to make them fit the colour scheme of my morning room, I decided to redraw them in shades of deep pink, purple, and blue. The drawings were done using coloured pencils.








Once they were finished, I sealed them with a fixative spray. I then cut sheets of PVC to size and framed them.


The plan is to hang the two framed drawings on either side of the baby dollhouse. (I first intended to hang them side by side above the desk. But I decided a large painting is a more suitable choice for that spot.)

Reacties

  1. Hello Sofie! I Love your parrot renderings! They are very very well done, especially for such small works. And in colored pencils! (They are tricky as they each have such a specific pigment and it never seems to be the one desired... at least in my humble opinion... I am no good at pencils) You have captured much of the liveliness and character of the birds. I really look forward to seeing them in their places in the Morning Room. I suppose I must forgive you for abandoning the parrot wall paper after all. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hello Betsy! I've always loved drawing (very often using nothing but a graphite pencil). I've been using the same coloured pencils from Bruynzeel and Caran d'Ache for as long as I can remember, so I have a pretty good sense of how much pressure to apply and which shade to use to achieve the effect I'm after. But I completely understand what you mean. On the rare occasions when I try drawing with a different brand of pencils, I spend so much time figuring them out that I always end up going back to the brands I know so well.
      I also love painting, but I find that much more challenging. Mixing paint colours is an art in itself. Yet you make it look so effortless!

      Verwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Huyze Herkert, morning room: building an extension for the dollhouse in the dollhouse

An introduction to Huyze Herkert

On a sidetrack: natural history museum roombox - part 1