Huyze Herkert, morning room: finishing the dollhouse in the dollhouse?

Remember this picture of the furniture I bought at the fair in May?

I just loved that tiny cabinet made by Arnold Volker. But when I put it in the dollhouse-within-a-dollhouse, it turned out to be just too small. Yes, you heard that right: too small!!! Can you believe it?

There was no way I wasn't going to use this little cabinet, though. I loved it far too much for that! And weren't those doors actually the perfect doors for the upper part of a sideboard? With drawers underneath? I gathered all my courage and very carefully cut off the legs.

I cut a piece of wood to size and stained all the parts in the same colour. I then glued everything together and added wooden strips to create the drawers. I embellished the latter with some gold decoration, cut from a tiny ornament.


The plan was to fill the display part of the cabinet with teeny-tiny books and crockery. I could already picture it perfectly. But once all the parts had been glued together, I discovered that the doors could no longer open. Which brings us to the question once again: can you believe that??? This is exactly what happened to me with the lid of my coal scuttle: glue in the hinges! You’d think I would have learned from that mistake… (Apparently, I’m a slow learner!) There was nothing I could do about it, so the cabinet will have to remain empty. But putting that little mishap aside, I actually think the cabinet turned out even prettier than it was before!

The Volker Arnold kit for making 1:144-scale lighting contained quite a few more pieces, so I made some standing candlesticks, a smaller hanging chandelier and a few loose candles as well. I then made the cello kit.


The music/drawing room needed a table. I cut two circles from veneer (to be correct, my cricut did), one with a diameter of 1 cm and one with a diameter of 1,2 cm. I glued them together to make the tabletop. For the base, I used a piece of jewelry finding and a model boat railing.

The music/drawing room also needed a plant (in my opinion that is; I love plants.). I made this one in the same way as the plant I made previously: by sandwiching thin wire between two layers of masking tape, painting it, and then cutting it into the shape of leaves. The pot is a silver bead from my grandmother's stash.

I also gave the desk a little makeover. I added a piece of ribbon as a runner on top, a candle, a few sheets of paper and a teeny-tiny pen (cut from the holder of a tea light), with a tiny bead (coloured black with a permanent marker) serving as an inkwell. Can you actually see all those details in the photos? (I can barely see that ink well myself, and I know exactly where to look!)





Next, I decided that the plant stand I had made earlier could use an upgrade as well. So I first stained it with mahogany stain and then painted tiny flowers on it. I also added another vase of flowers to the little bench.

And now all the little pieces of furniture and accessories (above, I didn't mention the round rug and the cushions I made for the sofa—but they are there too on the photos!) could finally find their places in the baby dollhouse!



Can I call it finished? Well, not yet. I still need two more dining chairs for around the table. I've decided not to make these myself; the chairs by Francesca Vernuccio are so perfect that I'll wait for the next fair and see if I can find some there. I would also love a miniature tea set for the table. And perhaps a few more accessories too. So no, it isn't really finished yet. But it's mostly finished!




Reacties

  1. Dear Sofie, Brava for these teensy tiny itty bitty creations! You are really setting a high standard for this scale! A Pen for the desk!!! (I did add a quill pen to my Secret X-mas House desk.... but the feather was from RL! ) And I definitely agree that the sideboard needed more height and you were very brave to cut into an already built tiny piece!!! I am very sad to hear the hinges stopped working.... that is just not fair! The little table and the candelabra and the Cello!! all are really well done. The Only thing I hesitate to even mention is the masking tape for the plants... in my experience, masking tape has a short lifespan... the glue dries up and quits after a few years... believe me I have the evidence everywhere I have used it to hold wires in place! I have not used it to make plants, but you might want to experiment with other glues... perhaps glue stick on thin tracing paper? That said, the plants look beautiful and the plant stand is very elegant! And that sofa with the cushions looks really inviting! Mind if I visit for a while? :):):)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Huyze Herkert, morning room: chairs

An introduction to Huyze Herkert

Huyze Herkert, morning room: building an extension for the dollhouse in the dollhouse