Visiting the DMFair Utrecht and historical estates

I’ve just spent four inspiring days in the Netherlands. The main purpose of my trip was the Dollhouses Miniatures Fair in Utrecht on Saturday, but I added a few extra days to visit historic country estates and museums in the neighborhood. So make yourself comfortable, because this is going to be a long read.

On Thursday, I visited Paleis Het Loo. This is a 17th-century palace belonging to the House of Orange, the Dutch royal family. It has two wings. One is entirely 17th-century and was furnished by William and Mary (yes, the William and Mary who became King and Queen of England), its first inhabitants. The furnishings in the other wing date from the 19th and 20th centuries. Personally, I found the latter the most impressive.





The following day, I spent at the Netherlands Open Air Museum. It has around a hundred historic buildings: real houses, farmhouses and workshops, some of them up to four hundred years old, which were relocated here. Complete with their original interiors. Absolutely worth a visit!

There is a similar museum here in Belgium, but as I remember it, the interiors are nowhere near as beautiful. Although it has been many many years since I last visited so perhaps I simply didn’t have the same appreciation for interiors back then. (Maybe it’s time for another visit soon?)

'Los Huus', built in the first half of the 18th century

Farm Kadoelen, built around 1800


'Stolpboerderij' (traditional Dutch farmhouse with a thatched roof), built in 1745


Manor farm, built in 1797

In some of these buildings, you can see craftsmen at work, using the tools and techniques that would have been used at the time. The great thing is that they also offer workshops, including a woodcarving workshop — something I’ve really wanted to learn so that I can add more detail and character to the furniture in my dollhouse. And although I only discovered the workshop on Wednesday evening, there was still a spot available for Friday. (Lucky me!)

The workshop lasted 90 minutes. Once you take away the time spent explaining and demonstrating the technique, there wasn’t enough time left for me to finish my piece. But that wasn’t really the point anyway. At least now I know which tools I need and how to get started, and I can continue exploring and learning on my own.



On Saturday, I went all out at the fair. Here’s an overview of my purchases:

A small porcelain doll, handmade by Henny Schram. Making clothes for her will be another new challenge! Although this won’t be happening just yet, as she is intended for the girls’ room in my Huyze Herkert.

Miniature knitting. The knights on the right were made by Annelies De Kort. Everything else comes from Reneeltje.

A whole lot of accessories and decorations, including, apparently, quite a few porcelain animal figurines, now that I see everything together (that wasn’t a deliberate choice!).  The holder with the spools of thread was made by Hermann Straeten; the candle snuffer by Jokra Houtdraaiwerk. The other items are not handmade. (I already had the furniture and the rug, and I’m using them here to make the overall presentation a little more attractive.)

A mass of flowers, all made from clay, along with a porcelain vase and water jug.

I keep a record in a notebook of all my purchases, including the name of the maker/seller and the price. The photos are a very useful addition to this.


On my final day, I visited Museum Huis Doorn. This was the former place of exile of the last German Emperor, Wilhelm II. He fled to neutral Netherlands in 1918 and bought the estate in 1920. The interiors of Huis Doorn came from palaces in Berlin and Potsdam and look nothing like the interiors of the 1920s. Wilhelm had no interest whatsoever in modernity and instead had a strong preference for the Baroque. All the furniture, silverware and paintings date from the 17th and 18th centuries.

The guides at the house were fantastic. In addition to the regular tour, I joined one tour of the Emperor’s private quarters and another of the servants’ quarters. I hardly took any photos because I was so absorbed in all the fascinating information.



And now I’m back home, with a head full of inspiration, ideas and plans!

(When I showed the photos I took to my husband, he said they looked like my dollhouse. Well, of course it’s the other way around! 😊 But it sure is a compliment that he sees similarities!)









Reacties

  1. Hello Sofie! What a wonderful journey you had!!! Well planned and so inspiring! I Love visiting "House Museums" because you learn so much just from being inside the spaces themselves. Of course, over here the earliest ones we have date from the seventeenth century (and there are very few! ) All our "style" inspiration came directly from Europe... and seeing the grand "palaces" over there is a whole 'nother thing as they say. I am keenly aware of the very gradual development of what we now take for granted... furnishings designed for comfort as well as looks. Being a Medievalist, and knowing that most people had almost no furnishings other than a stool or bench, plank table and maybe a bed off the floor.... it is interesting to read "bequests" in old inheritance records.... the best linens... the second best feather bed, (the mattress, not the frame!) the cauldron the churn, the spinning wheel... you know what I mean! Chairs with cushions never even get a mention! Chests did not have "drawers" until well into the sixteenth century. It is fascinating to me also to think of the development of the fine building and carving skills... (I also love to work wood....!) I am so glad you were able to get into the workshop! I had a similar last minute last available space in one of the Guild Workshops over here a few years back... to make a mini George the (something) serving tray... it was so much fun! I am enjoying so much your experience! And the Fair itself.... those can be so dangerous to the budget! I have gotten some absolute treasures at the Fairs.... and not all of them were expensive...like my herd of mini ponies... found over several years one and two at a time! :):) Lastly, keeping track in a book... yes, I do that too! Lol! And it has proven useful on occasion! But I also have been known to acquire something and forget to record the purchase!!! Sigh... And I have not always been good at recording the artisan... sometimes because they were unknown, but sometimes because I forgot to pay attention at the time of purchase... so swept up in the glory of minis everywhere the eye looks... I really look forward to seeing how all this inspiration aids your projects! :):)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Huyze Herkert, morning room: building an extension for the dollhouse in the dollhouse

An introduction to Huyze Herkert

On a sidetrack: natural history museum roombox - part 1