Huyze Herkert, morning room: the walls and the ceiling
During the months I spent waiting for the cabinet that would include my dollhouse to be installed, I chose wallpaper for each room. It needed to reflect the Victorians' love of rich colours and elaborate patterns. On top of that, I wanted the colours to be well balanced throughout the house and to create a harmonious whole. Unlike a real house, after all, every room in a dollhouse can be seen at the same time.
I browsed
through hundreds of wallpaper designs online, made selections, reached
decisions—and changed my mind at least ten times before I was finally
satisfied. I then had all the wallpaper for every room printed on heavyweight
paper at a local print shop. All that remained, I thought, was to cut it to
size and add the wainscoting.
My, oh
my... how wrong I was!
This was
going to be the wallpaper for the morning room, with a ‘wainscoting’ made from
a leftover piece of the dark green wallpaper we used in our real bedroom.
But as soon as I tested it in the morning room, it just didn't feel right.
At the DIY
store, I found samples of a light green wallpaper that paired beautifully with
the dark green one. I matched the colours of my rug to it. Even so, I couldn't
bring myself to part with the bird wallpaper. By then, parrots had become
something of a theme in the room! So I came up with the following solution (This
was also the first time I used my miniature mitre saw—and oh, how wonderfully
relaxing and satisfying I find sawing!).
I thought this looked so much better! That is, until I made the desk and realized it completely disappeared against such a busy background. I thought the piece of furniture was far too beautiful for that. Then again, I had already invested so many hours in sawing the decorative mouldings, painting them, and cutting all the panels. Perhaps toning everything down a little would help?
It only made things worse... (At this point, I have to admit, my heart really sank.)
The
Victorians may have believed that more is more, but after much deliberation I acknowledged
that I genuinely liked the plain light green wallpaper. It was time to let go
of the parrot wallpaper.
I still
tried all sorts of ideas to give the wallpaper some pattern. I tested a stamp
with gold ink. I tried a watermark stamp. (Neither worked because of the
wallpaper's texture.) I experimented with Dresden paper ornaments. And then
I decided enough was enough.
So it looks
as though this is what the morning room will look like after all:
I will add paintings and the corner above the fireplace is busy enough as it is. I bought the laser-cut wooden frames at a fair, gave them a coat of gold paint, and added mirrors. The wall shelf between them is made from 2 mm thick heavy cardboard, coffee stirrers, model boat railings, and a strip of molding along the bottom.
There will eventually be a decorative cornice where the walls meet the ceiling, but I can't install it just yet (which conveniently allows me to postpone deciding what colour to paint it!). First, I need to cut the grooves for the electrical wiring before I can permanently fix the floor and walls in place.
The ceiling
has been another real headache by the way. At the moment, it looks like this:
For the design, I took inspiration from the ornate scrollwork around the mirror frames. But will this be the final version? (Perhaps I can do more with it than this?) Only time will tell...






Reacties
Een reactie posten