Huyze Herkert, morning room: the walls and the ceiling
During the months I spent waiting for the cabinet that would include my dollhouse to be installed, I chose wallpaper for each room. It needed to reflect the Victorians' love of rich colours and elaborate patterns. On top of that, I wanted the colours to be well balanced throughout the house and to create a harmonious whole. Unlike a real house, after all, every room in a dollhouse can be seen at the same time.
I browsed
through hundreds of wallpaper designs online, made selections, reached
decisions—and changed my mind at least ten times before I was finally
satisfied. I then had all the wallpaper for every room printed on heavyweight
paper at a local print shop. All that remained, I thought, was to cut it to
size and add the wainscoting.
My, oh
my... how wrong I was!
This was
going to be the wallpaper for the morning room, with a ‘wainscoting’ made from
a leftover piece of the dark green wallpaper we used in our real bedroom.
But as soon as I tested it in the morning room, it just didn't feel right.
At the DIY
store, I found samples of a light green wallpaper that paired beautifully with
the dark green one. I matched the colours of my rug to it. Even so, I couldn't
bring myself to part with the bird wallpaper. By then, parrots had become
something of a theme in the room! So I came up with the following solution (This
was also the first time I used my miniature mitre saw—and oh, how wonderfully
relaxing and satisfying I find sawing!).
I thought this looked so much better! That is, until I made the desk and realized it completely disappeared against such a busy background. I thought the piece of furniture was far too beautiful for that. Then again, I had already invested so many hours in sawing the decorative mouldings, painting them, and cutting all the panels. Perhaps toning everything down a little would help?
It only made things worse... (At this point, I have to admit, my heart really sank.)
The
Victorians may have believed that more is more, but after much deliberation I acknowledged
that I genuinely liked the plain light green wallpaper. It was time to let go
of the parrot wallpaper.
I still
tried all sorts of ideas to give the wallpaper some pattern. I tested a stamp
with gold ink. I tried a watermark stamp. (Neither worked because of the
wallpaper's texture.) I experimented with Dresden paper ornaments. And then
I decided enough was enough.
So it looks
as though this is what the morning room will look like after all:
I will add paintings and the corner above the fireplace is busy enough as it is. I bought the laser-cut wooden frames at a fair, gave them a coat of gold paint, and added mirrors. The wall shelf between them is made from 2 mm thick heavy cardboard, coffee stirrers, model boat railings, and a strip of molding along the bottom.
There will eventually be a decorative cornice where the walls meet the ceiling, but I can't install it just yet (which conveniently allows me to postpone deciding what colour to paint it!). First, I need to cut the grooves for the electrical wiring before I can permanently fix the floor and walls in place.
The ceiling
has been another real headache by the way. At the moment, it looks like this:
For the design, I took inspiration from the ornate scrollwork around the mirror frames. But will this be the final version? (Perhaps I can do more with it than this?) Only time will tell...






Dear Sofie, I feel your angst! You are of the generation who has been raised with the "spare, clean NO frills aesthetic touted all around you, and a frankly overwhelming amount of "visual stimuli" coming at you from everywhere all the time... so I can see how hard it is for you to allow yourself to "go Victorian or go Home" with your decoration. It is easy one piece at a time... but all together piled on top of each other? Not so easy! I would not give up on your dreams... I think the parrot wallpaper still would work in this room... but your eyes need to adjust... which can't always be done all at once. The pattern of the paper which at first, alone, seems overwhelming, does eventually become "just the background", a more unified tone than a pattern. It needs the over-layers of framed art and cornice trim to help it recede in effect. This is "round one".... but I predict that over time, after two or three more rooms... you will be back to "upgrade" this one! (You love that parrot paper so much... as do I, and you are wanting that Victorian overload of pattern and color!) That said, I do like the arrangement of the room so far!I think the desk, being wood, will not disappear when all the other acoutrements have been added. And I have a question... are these rooms going to have windows in any of them? Or is it more of a "Cabinet House" like the early Dutch ones? Because curtains go a long way to "Victorian-izing" a room's decor, they even "curtained" their doorways with "Portiers"!
BeantwoordenVerwijderenPlease don't read criticism here... but encouragement... because I confess, my heart sang when I first saw your wallpaper choice! I would even go so far as to glue the wallpaper to cardstock panels and prop them in place for a while to see the effect in situ before I decided they were never going to work! But that's just me... being a bit crazy as usual! :):):)
Dear Betsy,
VerwijderenI'm sorry it took me so long to reply—we've just had a two-week vacation. I'm SO grateful that you take the time to comment on my posts, and I would never take your feedback as criticism! I truly value your opinion (and was actually hoping to hear it on this particular subject!), especially since you have so much more experience with miniature building than I do.
To be honest, it doesn't surprise me at all that you're encouraging me to embrace more colour and patterns 😉. My real home is indeed quite modern in style, and although it's very important to me that an interior feels warm and is filled with items that have personal meaning, I don't like clutter. So the Victorian style definitely takes some getting used to. That said, you may well be right—I’m leaning towards giving the parrot wallpaper another chance... I do glue the wallpaper onto cardstock panels, so I'm going to change it once more and see how I feel about it.
There are windows in the dollhouse, but because it is built into a cabinet, only the rooms on the right-hand side have them (namely the kitchen, the drawing room, the library, and the master bedroom). I'm also considering using portières in a few of the doorways, including the entrance to the morning room. There is so much to think about and so many decisions to make... but I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Thanks again!